Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Women who inspire me


Last Friday, my dear friend Cory stopped by with her kiddos on her way out of town. She is a Tupperware rep and a friend hosted a party at her home in Bellingham the night before, so Cory came up on business. I try to snag any opportunity to see Cory since she and her fam live in Port Townsand and our visits are few and far between. Kristen stopped by for the short visit as well and I was thrilled to have 3 of 4 old roomies together in the same room again.

I am always amazed when I reflect on how much can change in 5 years (we were all roommates our Junior and Senior years at Western). We had a lot of laughs back then and also helped each other through some tough times. I never would have imagined a few years later Cory would have 3 kids, Kristen would have 1 and I would be married and running my own business. Life changes so steadily, so quickly sometimes.

It encourages me so much to know that these women have taken what life has thrown at them and succeeded with flying colors. God absolutely has guided them, but it also takes a certain amount of faith and trust to persevere through the "stuff." I was sitting on the floor with these women and admired their strength. Being a mom is a tough job (not speaking from personal experience, but as you already know...I am challenged enough by the puppy). Cory has her 4 year old, 2.5 year old and 9 month old all in check. You can tell in the first 10 seconds of the kids playing that she is great mom...they aren't out of control or recking the house but instead enjoying their time at a house that is so not cool for little people - AKA: no toys. They listen and respect their mom when she is directing them and she even makes a game out of getting themselves ready to go. At the same time...Kristen swoops in, a natural mom, and sees how she can aid her friend in parenting: Picking peas off the floor, offering Cory some water, asking Zoey and Zac questions. It is really awe-inspiring to watch. I am honored to have these women in my life and even happier to see their enthusiasm for, what seemed to me, hectic and overwhelming lives (I think the photo above is an excellent snap shot of what everyday in the Feren's (Cory's house is like). How lucky and blessed am I to have their wisdom so very accessible.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Oh, GREAT blog!! I'm tearing up just reading about you women; I wish I could have been there...

I love and miss each of you so much, my heart just swells for you.

We simply MUST schedule a date with the four of us again soon, it's simply been too long!! But I'm happy the three of you got some quality time together - and I got to be there vicariously, thanks to this awesome post. Way to go Andi!