Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween

Halloween took Nick and I to Ridgefield, WA this year...to hoop it up with my prego sister and her hubby. After a 5.5 hour car ride from Bellingham (rush hour traffic in Seattle, Federal Way and Tacoma...go figure), we arrived just in time to watch Ami finish up sewing her costume. She has always been the "creative one" out of the two of us. So of course after getting her and Matt pirate costumes from Value Village...she felt compelled to buy some fabric to add "just a few things" to their get up. Low and behold, 6 hours later slaving in front of her sewing machine, she had created a brand new costume for both her and Matt. Yep...that is my sister. I, on the other hand, opted to ditch my two potential costumes that I brought for Ami's masterpiece 2 years ago: Poison Ivy. With a fully leaved tube top, skirt and mask, along with ivy earrings, green fishnet stockings and green boots...I was set to go in about 45 seconds thanks to her. Nick dug down deep into his Texan roots and discovered his "inner hick." Overalls, flannel top, a roped chicken and a nasty mullet that was enough to keep him at an arms distance most of the night. We hopped in the car and headed to Kennedy School in Portland (http://www.kennedyschool.com/). A super cool renovated school that now operates as a few different restaurants, bar and theater. Dr. Theopolis! (that's him in the photo above - FYI: not in a halloween costume...that's just how he rolls) took over the stage and for a price you can't beat (free - the perks of being 2 hours late) we rocked out to their oh-so-funky tunes for an hour or so. I started to bonk quickly and my family decided for me that I was hungry (which was true) so we hit up a bar which overtook the school boiler room and enjoyed some nice late night snacks. We had a great time...but what may have taken the cake was people watching. Portland is known for some extravagant people in the first place, so WOW were there some funky costumes!

2 comments:

The Norris Clan said...

I love the Kennedy School! We had the best waiter there. Seriously... it was one of the best dining experiences in recent times! Glad you had fun. You look adorable :-)

Anne Marie said...

Don't you love how Portland utilizes old buildings (such as schools and churches) for super cool functions like movie theatres and bars? Seriously, it's almost enough to move there...

Besides having the audacity to actually call Ami "the creative one" in front of everyone you know (you're BOTH ridiculously creative, give me a break), it sounds like so much fun! Halloween can be such a lame holiday, but here I am in Italy, wishing I had been in Portland :)

PS - Ami is lookin' so cute!!