Saturday, November 8, 2008

I Got my Sanity Back!

On Thursday, Charlotte and I spent another full day together. By 5pm, I was done. Again, the mental preoccupation was enough to send me to the hills in hysterics. Instead...Nick got a phone call from a wife in hysterics. To sum that conversation up in a nice, neat, calm little package, I relayed that what we were doing wasn't working and I needed a little break. Lucky for all three of us, Thursday night was my first bible study with a new group of wonderful women from Oikos Church (thanks Kristen!). I not only had the chance to be re-grounded with the Grace of Jesus, but also spoke to the woman hosting the group who also just got a new puppy. We swapped stories and I probed her with pottie training questions. She also passed along a book that worked well for her 10 week old, well trained "pees ever 3 hours, poops twice a day" puppy. What a dream.

Friday came, and Nick wisely decided to work from home that day. We shared the responsibilities of taking care of Charlotte which absolutely helped my mind frame. I was more relaxed, happy and well-balanced. A combination that any husband wants for his wife. We also decided to switch things up a bit more regarding Charlotte's schedule. We put a box in her crate which minimized the space for her to live. (Don't worry, she still has room to be comfortable).
This means that she would be less likely to pee in the crate since she would also have to be sleeping in there. We also decided to take her out every hour and a half no matter what to avoid accidents. Both things worked beautifully! Charlotte has officially had her first day of no accidents in the house...AND slept through the night. Chalk it up to a great day in the Vann household.

This morning was Charlotte's first doctor's visit. We decided to sign her up for Banfield's Wellness Plan (thanks mom!). This is basically an insurance plan for your puppy. For a monthly premium she gets all her vaccinations, a full examination, free office visits, a discount on meds if she needs them, a free flee treatment and will be spayed at no charge (I can hardly make it through the day with one puppy, can you imagine me with 6 of them!). Charlotte cleared the exam with flying colors, plus got two more vaccinations, which is leaving her rather cuddly and sluggish this afternoon. I reeled the doctor with my 1,000,000 questions ranging from how to clean eye boogers to why does she hiccup so much. Though the books that we read are helpful, they seem to skip some very important day-to-day details that a girl like me must know. The people at Banfield were great and I would highly recommend they to anyone (they also have adult dog wellness plans!).
The rest of the day is a chill one for us. Nick and I are catching up on house stuff and just enjoying a slow weekend. We usually slam our weekend full of activities, but with this new life of living in two hour increments, we are a little more confined to the boundaries of our yard.
One thing I have to say is I LOVE this dog. I call her my little bear because...well...she looks like one. She is so well behaved, always wanting to please, always wants to cuddle and is rather cooperative when it comes to things that could be irritating, like clipping her nails. One of my favorite things about her is how she pushes herself back when sitting. Apparently our hard wood floors are rather slick for her cute little bootie! My blogs may get a little more balanced with time, but for now...she inspires me to write.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Congrats on the latest member. It's so funny how on paper a dog sounds just like a kid. I can relate to you in many ways in respect to my children. Can't wait to meet her, I'm sure Lucy and Will are going to love playing with her- they love small dogs (big ones...not so much)