Thursday, November 13, 2008

Charlotte update

Life in the Vann household gets a little better with each day. Charlotte is learning how things roll around here: Nick and Andi are in charge, she is not. It's a slow lesson...sometimes it is clear as mud to her, but in order to reinforce the #1 rule, we persevere, hoping that SOME ground is made each day. She is pretty much on the two and a half hour schedule...doing her duty outside that is. This is a great relief to me (well to us both...I am sure) because it allows me to get some work done, catch up on house stuff, as well as hit up the gym and run other errands during her crate time. We have gone on a few walks around the neighborhood. I use the term "walk" very loosely as it is more of a sniffing fest for her and a "Charlotte Come" chant for me. But no more...today I read up on how to walk with your dog, so hopefully a stroll around the block with take 10 minutes rather than 30. Yes, yes...book knowledge is very helpful when it comes to these sort of things. Luckily, I am wisely reminded by my loving husband that puppies don't go by the book, so I must remain optimistic even if she isn't perfect. Yeah, yeah...OK...I got it.
Charlotte has had a lot of interaction with people this week as we hosted our couple's group on Monday night and a church plant meeting on Tuesday night. She has taken to everyone really well, including Belle, Kristen and Trevor's 2 year old daughter. It must be "your the same size as me, therefore I will chase you around and sniff all over," kind of thing. It is so wonderful to see her interact with others. I SO badly want her to be a friendly to all kind of dog, yet obedient to her Alpha dogs. I realize that all these blogs about this dog may seem a bit over zealous and a perfectionist...which may or may not be the case. I am trying to balance the desires for having a well behaved dog, letting a puppy be a puppy, yet implementing the wisdom's that these books portray. I am sure that in 3 months from now, I will look back and laugh at my nervousness and compulsive attitude, but until then I will just persevere without overloading myself.

She is a bit of a lush when it comes to being in Nick's arms. I try not to get jealous.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

No! I LOVE the Charlotte updates! I think you'll be glad you're sharing all your thoughts about being a first time puppy-owner...I'm sure it's all valuable experience for kiddos someday (even being an auntie!)

It's so fun to hear your thought process; it cracks me up and makes me smile. I can hardly wait to meet the newest Vann :)