Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Get 'r Done Round #2

As if you didn't know it already, I really love my family. My amazing parents visited Nick and I this weekend with a mixed agenda of business and pleasure. The business/pleasure ration is very much 3/97 but still...we did have a few projects to get done around the house. Luckily my dad's livelihood and hobbies are one in the same: fixing stuff. So we had at it and got a lot done. Lamely, I did not take a single photograph while they were here (I have no excuse...I need to train myself to be more picture orientated), but I thought a bullet list of our accomplishments could take place of a picture. To be fair, my dad did 97% of the stuff, but because he is an inclusive kind of guy, he would say that in a matter of 2 days Mom, Dad, Nick, Brea and I:
  • Rewired the garbage disposal so it doesn't blow the breaker every time we turn it on
  • Replaced weather stripping around our front door for higher efficiency during the cold months
  • Repaired the wood base one of the french doors...the wind can be harsh around here
  • Fixed the shower door to stop the water from leaking out
  • Re-caulked the kitchen and bathroom sink
  • Tuned the locks on all the doors for easier functioning
  • Partially built the air filter replacement system for our furnace
  • Replaced broken shingles on the roof (see that wind is fierce!)

There were times when Nick and Dad were working together on a project and there was no room for me...so I cleaned things that I typically put off...like washing our big bay windows...inside and out and vacuuming under the couches (I really try to avoid this at all costs...). It was great! Plus, dad helped me with quarterly taxes...yuck!

But don't think we didn't squeeze any fun in there. We toured the town on Bellingham and Fairhaven on bike, had a celebratory birthday dinner for dad (steak, potatoes, corn, salad and dessert of course: Buttermilk Yellow Cake, layered with chocolate pastry cream, bananas and whipping cream), hit up Hellingham at the Up-Front Theater (improv show) and went to church. So...not too bad for a weekend with the folks. Nick and I know we are spoiled with such great parents (including ours in Texas!!!)...what a blessing God has given us!

2 comments:

The Terps said...

My goodness, did you crash after they left? That's a serious list of accomplishments. I guess we'll see how long it is before they come up again. They might not be back any time soon. : )

DT

Cory Ferens said...

LOVE the buttermilk cake too, it is cake perfection...