Monday, October 13, 2008

Wedding Season 2008 Comes To A Close

A feeble attempt of my photography to portray how Steve can transform a tent into an elegant wedding reception. Check out his website for real pics of his talent.


Late on Saturday night, another season came to a close in my life: 2008 Wedding Season. After the bride and groom had made their vows, cut their cake and danced their first dance as husband and wife, I made my quick rounds of goodbyes to the families, vendors and staff, slipped on my jacket and drove myself out of Semiahmoo Resort. It was a joyful drive home...a 30 minute trek of reflecting over the summer's festivities, experiences and well... nightmares.

I learned a lot this spring and summer as a wedding coordinator for the oh-so-talented and amazingly gifted Steve Moore (http://www.stevenmooredesigns.com/). Like how to ensure a wedding will start on time when the bride arrives an hour and a half late to the venue for pictures, and has yet to apply her makeup and put on her dress. (Please note that the groom was impeccably timely....come to think of it...all the grooms and groomsmen this summer were ALWAYS attentive, helpful, timely and courteous. Too bad society has given them a bad reputation for being just the opposite of that.) Or the time the groom disappeared during the garter toss and I sprinted up and down the halls of the resort to locate him while his bride sat patiently in the middle of the dance floor with 400 eyes on her and twenty single men swarming her. Or the SEVERAL times a weather call had to be made 20 minutes before the ceremony because of the dark clouds and gusty winds felt like Washington's first typhoon approaching. Don't think for a moment that weather-calls are easy decisions to make when thousands and thousands of dollars have been committed to these outdoor venues, rented chairs, string quartets, sound systems and flowers, not to mention the hours dumped into finding the "perfect spot," laying out the ceremony floor plan and practicing just how the processional will transpire.

Don't get me wrong, of all the nightmares that happened this summer, the beauty, elegance and charisma that a wedding brings out far out-weighed the traumatic, dramatic and sporadic moments. For example, seeing the happy couple stare longingly into each other's eyes throughout the night...knowing that this wedding is going to last. Or the times when not a single glitch occurs (logistically) during the night and the MoB, FoB, BM and MoH all come up to you to compliment the workings of a well-ran wedding. And of course...the most important of all...being surrounded by such an amazing team of professionals who love what they do and do it well. Nothing makes a wedding coordinators job easier than having vendors who are reliable, consistent and enthusiastic. Wow! I do feel so very blessed to have seen what I have seen, done what I have done and I look forward to another season of it next year. Until then, I will continue to do behind the scene stuff, building up my business, oh and enjoying my Saturdays OFF!

No comments: