Sunday, February 8, 2009

Party like it's MY birthday!


Birthdays have always been a big deal for me. When growing up, my parents always had a nack for making my day special. From mylar balloons (always super cool when you are 10 years old) to presents wrapped in pretty paper and big bows to mom cooking my favorite dinner, they just knew what to do. I give them extra kudos for making my birthday feel like it was just for me...even with Ami's birthday being 2 days later. And the tradition continues to this day.
Thanks to my solid upbringing, my mentality for my birthday was no different this year. I still consider it a day to be celebrated...a day to treat myself to do whatever I darn right feel like. Last Friday was just that day.

It started like any other day...waking up with a healthy body, in a warm home, with an enthusiastic dog and a jovial husband. (As a side note, Nick has been outstanding in the learning about how special birthdays are to the Lopez girls. After I met him, I realized that not everyone puts such emphasis on such a day. Some just let it glaze by. I never understood this and have talked to many friends about it. Lucky for me, wonderful people like Anne Marie and Trevor are on "my side" of the birthday fence. So is Nick...now that he has got to experience a birthday or two of his own with me around.) A blessing in-it-of-itself. But then the calls started to come in; the many birthday wishes from those I love. I kissed the man goodbye and set off for a walk along the waterfront with Charlotte. After a few million raindrops absorbed by my jeans, a delicious cup of coffee from Woods, a little trip to the mall for some shopping, I was happy at home again packing for the weekend. Nick and I hopped in the car and headed down to Gas Works Park in Seattle. It had been eons since I had been there and a first go around for Nick. Though we arrived right at sunset...it was beautiful to see the city light up the sky from afar. t Soon there after, a short drive took us to a Greek restaurant in Freemont for delicious Gyros and red wine. Then to Steilacoom for a quick hello to the fam, a slice of cake and a warm bed. It was a great day.

Saturday was sandwich day - the day between Ami and I's birthday, which was dutifully celebrated by a chill day around the house and a birthday dinner at Marzono's Italian Restaurant on Garfield Street by PLU. If you haven't been there...you must go. You must. Make a reservation, put on something sassy and go. Then order the Gorgonzola Chicken. It is everything creamy, rich and delicious. I am actually still reflecting the fantastic meal. Actually it is the best dinner of 2009. Even though it is only February...I know it will be the best.

So, needless to say, it was another successful birthday: I felt joy in my heart for life, I got to see and do something new with Nick, I spent wonderful time with my family, and received many birthday wishes from friends. Yes indeed, I am a blessed woman!

No comments: