Monday, February 2, 2009

Hike #2 - Na Pali Coast

After that oh-so-adventurous first hike down Wiamea Canyon, Nick and I were beyond confident that our next hike would be a winner.

I will have to ask Nick what the name of the hike even was...since I am terrible with all the Hawaiian names. But anyways, this hike was known for it's extreme beauty, great views and a waterfall at the end. The first two miles paralleled the coast line. After hiking up some cobblestone, with a few switchbacks, the trail opened up with a view of the Pacific Ocean. It was gorgeous. All around us were tropical plants, little trickling streams and vocal birds. I really enjoyed walking up on the cliffs, looking around at the high peaks and just saying to myself: "wow...I am hiking in Hawaii!"


At the 2 mile point, you reach an unswimmable beach. There are endless signs as we approached the beach, warning us not to swim. Once we got there, we understood why: Gigantic waves, folding over onto themselves...one after another after another. Another magnificent demonstration of God's creativity and mother earth's power.
We continued up the trail, heading another 2 miles for the waterfall. Winding trails with many river crossings, bamboo bushes, and crazy shaped trees kept us visually entertained. As we approached the waterfall, we heard it before we saw it. Stretching at least 400 feet high, it came crushing down into a pool of cool water. Surrounded sharply steep cliffs, covered in mini ferns, it was really a sight to be seen. We stood below it, looking up in awe and getting drenched at the same time. A small price to pay to see such beauty. Though I had worn my bikini under my hiking attire, I declined the swimming opportunity. Believe it or not, I was a bit chili and jumping into a rocky pool of waterfall water, just didn't appeal to either of us. So we soaked it up for a bit longer and headed our way back down.

After eight miles round trip, on an "advanced" trail (not too steep, just lots of rocks to crawl over and technical terrain), Nick and I were whopped. As we approached the car, I thanked God for my husband. I always enjoy a good hike with Nick. It is an uninterrupted time to chat endlessly about anything we feel like...since time is on our side. I like to watch him in his element too...so graceful on his feet and respectful of the earth. He takes the time to point out the small things in life that I too often blaze by: the tiny bugs building domes, the discreet pink flowers, the patterns on the leaves. Such a nature guru...much like my father...something I am very grateful to be influenced by.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Looks great!! Can't wait to see more picts!!