Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving Break

Family photo with Brea and newly purchased frisbee golf disks.


Ahhh...Thanksgiving. A time for family, food and a good Frisbee Golf tournament. What? That's not normal? Well it wasn't for us either, until this year.

Carrying on the Lopez tradition on Thanksgiving day...my mom created a feast to please a king. From ham to pot roast, sausage stuffing to corn casserole, pecan pie to pumpkin, we were all rolling in a food coma for hours after the feast. I am absolutely baffled by the Quantity and Quality of my mother's cooking...Ami and I ponder why we aren't fighting to lose an extra 300lbs gained through childhood (an easy feat if you have tasted her cooking). My cousins LeAnne and Lauren flew in for the weekend and joined the gathering; a treat even more so than the food before us. All 15 of us caught up, chatted and shared stories late into the evening.

The following day, my adoring husband had the genius idea of walking off some of those "extra bites" and "just one mores" through a game of Frisbee Golf. We rounded up the Evans and Davis clan and headed out. Just 5 miles from our home is a 48 "basket" course, with varying levels of experience; from amateur (me, me and me) to professional (just about everyone else). Just a little history here, I am not the hugest fan of said game. Begrudgingly (by me of course) Nick and I have ventured out to the course here in Bellingham and when it's my turn to tee off, somehow the disk somehow lands BEHIND me half the time. Needless to say, Frisbee Golf is not my sport. However when there are 11 of my favorite people all gathered together, how can I resist? Then when my 18 year old cousin Matthew rolled up with a carrier bag, I knew I was in trouble. He had multiple drivers, mid-range and putters...all different colors, full of "integrity." (Matthew taught me a lot that day). Our fearless leader obviously had high expectation for his followers as he guided us off to tee #1 of the PROFESSIONAL course. Matthew started us off. I wish you could have seen him throw...it was a work of art. Then Lauren (cousin) stepped up (also carrying a disk holder) and the whaled it. Then Nick...it flew. Then out of no where, brother in law Matt, chucked it like it ain't no thang. Unbelievable. I was shaking in my timbers, mostly because I didn't want to injure the spectators standing behind me. Thankfully it flew forward, only to hit a tree 15 feet away and went tumbling to the ground. Luckily, I wasn't the only one...a few family members (names withheld of course) were on the same par as me (no pun intended).

I'll spare you gruesome details of our 2 hour game and sum it up by saying shockingly enough each one of us walked away with all extremities, no concussions (I dare you to play with 11 people and not get smacked in the face with a flying disk) and bellies ready to be full once again with Thanksgiving leftovers.

The Lopez family had so much fun, we ventured out again after church on Sunday (following a 45 minute pit stop at JOE'S for new disks) and played another round.

So go ahead...buy a $7 disk and give it a whorl. I guarantee you will be better than me!
Shot of Nick half-way successful at beating the photo timer..I couldn't resist.

The feast that mom (and others) created.

The fam after the meal (well...2/3 of it anyways)

No comments: