Thursday, November 8, 2007

The joy of brushing

I LOVE brushing my teeth. For some reason, I have an unusual high need for that fresh, clean, shining smile whenever possible. This doesn't mean that I carry my tooth brush everywhere I go, being sure to brush 100 strokes every hour on the hour. But I have been known to stop in the middle of a project (scrapbooking to chopping wood) to dash to the bathroom for a quick brush. What can I say? It is just really, really refreshing! Anyway, today was a day that all dental hygiene fanatics covet: Going to the Dentist! Due to the move to Bellingham, we were in need of all new doctors. So, I asked around and luckily got into Dr Clough's office (thanks Terps!). From the moment I walked in to the moment I stepped out with goodie bag in hand (4 things of floss AND a toothbrush!!!) my experience was nothing but exceptional. Not only were they incredibly personable and friendly, they were fully equip with state of the art X-Ray equipment which is totally digital, using 80% less radiation and no harsh chemical (for the processing). Then Scott (yeah, that's right...first name basis) came in to check up on the teeth. He complimented me on my their condition and I couldn't help but beam with satisfaction...the new Sonicare is really doing it's job! Then we dove into a ten minute conversation of just how can we motivate all people to pick up their brushes and go to town (at least TWICE a day). We decided that it is all about education...healthy dental hygiene starts right now...brushing in the morning and at night (that's only 5 minutes a day!). Then floss...yep, it takes 30 more seconds, but it is the best for preventing those roots from rotting and losing teeth at a younger age. We can't just walk in there at age 50 saying "fix my teeth," and expect them not to shake his head and say it's too late. Now, I certainly don't mean to be on my soap box making you feel guilty about your brushing habits if they need improvement. I just wanted to share how inspiring that appointment was for me to continue what I have been doing and not slack off (especially about wearing my retainer). Even when I am in transition from the comfy couch to our snugly bed, I will pull over in the bathroom for a quick brush and floss. It's worth it. Plus I would rather spend the money I am saving on other great things like shoes or hiking gear from not needing crowns, fillings or root canals. Oh and you already know that Nick will be right there behind me. His passion for brushing is a weeeeeee bit lesser than mine, but no worries, he's coming around. Especially since I learned that one person's poor mouth habits can influence even the most dedicated of brushers (when in mouth to mouth contact of course). Always a good pointer for you friends who are dating. I am sure it would fly as a first date question: "So...how often do you brush your teeth?" Fits right in right!
Now, get to brushing!

No comments: