Sunday, November 4, 2007

Figaro and Figgy

The trees are bearing their fruit; the fig tree and the vine yield their riches.
Joel 2:22b

Saturday morning brought a great surprise to the Vann household. I woke up at a typical weekend time of 8am...ready to hit the day running. Nick and I had a list longer than Santa's packed with chores, errands, and really, really fun tasks like reading the Voter's Pamphlet so we can be educated voters. Woohoo!!! (you may detect just a hint of sarcasm there) Either way, I rolled out of bed and headed towards the kitchen. A few feet into this journey, I spotted a leaf in the hallway. This took me by great surprise considering the smallest crumb on the floor has a very short life span in our house. I looked a bit closer and realized this leaf was not brought in my a gust of wind...it had a purple sticky note on it with my husbands beautiful writing on it. I quickly demised that I had entered some rendition of a scavenger hunt. Commence the squealing: "Nick, Nick...there is a leaf in the hallway with a note on it!" Due to my excitement of the fun game I just stumbled upon, it didn't even register that stating the obvious to Nick was purposeless...obviously he was responsible for the leaf and was well in-the-know with what was going on. But because he is so wonderful, he just nodded and encouraged me to continue to through the series of notes. Each one created a leafy path through the living room, kitchen, mud room, then outside between the garage and house, to conclude in the side yard. Each leaf had a note just as the first...leading to some clue regarding "a treat that will come in the Spring, after a little TLC..." After picking up the last leaf, I looked up to find an adorable mini-fig tree planted in our yard (note: a very ugly and sad looking dead tree use to reside in this exact same spot). I was flooded with exhilaration for our new foliage as well as dumbfounded with adoration for Nick. You see, the last few months I have seem to be obsessed with figs. They have only recently been introduced to me, and I have felt like it was my personal mission to make up for the past 26 years of non-fig eating. From the Farmers market in San Fran to our delivery bin, I have been eating as many figs as I can get down. Since Nick was savvy to my new fruit addiction he decided to surprise me with two different species. We declared their names to be Figaro and Figgy and very much look forward to the fruit they will produce. That is, after I read all about them so I don't kill them off. Ahhh, I can just see the fig tarts cooling on the counter right now.


My leave notes (two wrapped in ziplocks to protect them from the rain...he's so cleaver!)


Figaro...the fig tree that my trail of leaves lead to.


Figaro even had paper fig cut-outs on him with "harvest related" quotes.



I planted Figgy yesterday...don't laugh, he may look a bit twiggy, but he will grow to be a beautifully LARGE fig producing tree!

No comments: