Monday, October 1, 2007

St. George and Zion

After a hefty 9 hour drive and another night of setting up camp in the dark, Nick and I woke to towering peaks in Zion National Park. Just a few miles out of the park brings great bike riding on slick rock trial call Gooseberry Mesa; a 20 something mile loop trail of varied terrain taking you out to "The Point;" an amazing view of the red rock mesa garden! It felt good to be on Foxy, my new full suspension bike to see how she could perform on the sandstone. Must say she did a great job...if only I could have done as good of a job as she did. The great thing about road trips are opportunities for self discovery. My big lesson of the day: Due to my competitive nature (against myself of course, no one else) I have a hard time adjusting to a new environment if I am still getting used to something else. Little did I know, in just a few days I would have another HUGE "opportunity for growth" in Moab. Oh my poor, sweet, wonderfully patient husband...he has become a professional positive affirming motivator speaker with an audience of one on the trail...me. The man could basically write a book on how to keep your wife on a bike when all she wants to do is through it into the canyon and walk back to the car. Sounds like a good title. Anyways, (sorry about the tangent...I do love a good self discovery) we biked for a few hours, enjoyed the view, then hit the road yet again for next stop Escalante. Bring it on Slot Cannons...





The trail head... pumped for our first ride!


















Typical "trail" in Utah...slickrock...very different from that trusty, single track dirt in good old Western Washington.



















Classic foot shot from "The Point"

My Manimal so happy to be on his bike again!

No comments: