Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Slots...and we're not talkin' Vegas here


Escalante...the land of slot canyons. I have always heard of slot canyons, but had yet to experience such deep, thin...well, slots in the earth, until we arrived in Escalante National Park. Previously, my parents shared wonderful stories about their time at Bryce Canyon...exploring the floors of canyons, hoping for the absence of flash floods. No kidding...if it rains within 100 miles of the canyon region, they recommend postponing your explorations until a clear forecast. Otherwise, raging water comes flooding into the base of the canyon floor, swooping you and your hiking mate to wherever the water runs. That is, after all, how the canyons form in the first place. So needless to say, as we were getting directions at the visitors center, I repeatedly asked for the forecast and the % chance of rain/thunderstorm/cloud coverings/mist/whatever...I was taking no chances, I would like to experience a few more things before I leave this fine earth. Due to the confirming tone of the young ranger that thunderstorms are predicted 2 days from then, I felt confident enough that we were alright. But really, who am I kidding, God could take me out in the parking lot if He really wanted to.

Because I married a man with a heart full of exploration, always craving the road less taken, Nick and I set out for Peekaboo and Spooky Slot Canyons. This is no stroll through canyon country. These two slots require flexibility, where claustrophobic are not encouraged to participate. After a 1/2 mile hike to our first slot, I understood why. Thin narrow sandstone tunnels paved our way deeper into the canyon. Twisting and turning, manipulating our bodies were the only way we could work our way through. There were many times that we had to hold our camel backs in our hands in order to fit past the tight spaces. Other times we had to press our backs to one side of the canyon and our feet to the other and shimmy our way down in order to keep up with the "drop offs" in the canyon floor. Besides keeping our eyes peeled for the rattlers (they like shade too) it was amazing to see the windy formations that A LOT of time and rushing water has created. The things that this earth has to see is limitless; each region being so different and unique. It was quite the sight to be seen. It also enhanced my appreciation for our tall fir trees here in Washington...hiking in the desert is HOT!
After that venture, we shook off our sandy bodies and hopped in the car. No more messing around on this road trip...it's Moab time!


The entrance into Peekaboo...




Working my way through the narrows



Nick shimming down...I think he would make an excellent Santa




"Chocolate shavings" as Nick likes to call them...really, mud dried up and crusty in the river beds.


2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

Super cool pics! that place looks fascinating! Would love to go there sometime.

Shannon said...

Andi that looks wonderful! I have to say, I'm a little jealous ....