Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Whistler Relived


A few weekends ago a group of us headed up to Whistler BC for a weekend of adventure and relaxation. Thanks to a great friend's hook up, we were able to score a sweet deal on a great condo in the Upper Village. A mere 15 minute walk took us to the heart of the Village...a place for shopping, delicious dining and oh-so entertaining people watching. I LOVE hanging in the village. The vibe it gives off is one of great appeal to me. Such a blend of people...young to old, rich to rags, it has got it all. The die-hard bikers who live for the hills to those who may not even notice the recreation options...but more specifically there to shop, dine or raise a ruckus during a bachelorette party. The entertainment is unlimited, therefore, I love it.

After 2 years of recovery and positive self talk from my last horrific Whistler down hill park bike riding experience (http://nickandandi.blogspot.com/2007/08/whistler-bikers-dreamunless-youre-me.html), I decided it was time for a do over. We went about it the right way this time: I rented the fattiest bike I could get my hands on...9 inches of travel with motorcycle tires (basically) to boot. I padded up with the right gear, caffeine up to give me a boost and we were well on our way up the mountain (via chairlift of course...those bikes weren't designed to be peddled up hill...or flat for that matter). I am so very proud to report, not a single tear was shed this year. Only hoots and hollers of exaltation! I even stepped up a few skills while I was there: Overcoming my fear of drops (or basically allowing my tires to be off the ground longer that .01 seconds) and taking full advantage of the berms. Nick of course was a great encourager (yes...he definitely learned his lesson from the last go-around). He stuck by my side the whole day...taking breaks when I needed them (read: to get food and more food), gave me on-the-spot lessons and techniques that would help my advancement and praised me for the littlest of accomplishment (which I have learned helps me more than anything else). It was an amazing day...we returned to the condo that evening with smiles on our faces and excitement to hear the stories of our fellow traveling companions. Not to mention the hilarious observation of 3 grown men trying to expedite the process of charcoal burning.

Sunday brought a yummy "family style" breakfast, a people watching/coffee drinking period at the park and a sun tanning session at Lost Lake with the crew. We lounged, relaxed and laughed...things all Sundays should include.
I can't wait for another go around in 2010! Or even a few more in 2009!

2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

I don't know why shoulder pads ever went out of style.

The Norris Clan said...

Wow! You are amazing...