Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day

This year Father's Day was unlike any other for The Mag 7, as we celebrated 2 fathers (well 3 if you include Nick fathering Charlotte): Matt and my dad of course. It was a weekend gathering in Steilacoom, with the loose agenda of Kayaking, BBQ and Church to be followed by the traditional trip to Costco for mocha freezes, pizza and soda. We did as we always do...living life at an easy pace in Steilacoom.

Since my mother had a bit of a migraine, neither she nor Brea attended the kayaking festivities. So that left: Dad, Delya and Matt in the canoe, Ami, Nick (& Charlotte) and I in individual kayaks on American Lake in Lakewood. We paddled for about 2 hours, with deep cravings to jump in the water, but too intimidated by the daunting "I just may rain on you any second" clouds. Midway through the adventure, Delya needed a snack so Ami and Matt swapped vessels for appropriate feeding. It was hilarious and wonderful.

I do love how different land looks from the water (verses seeing land on land). And it pains me to say that I have not been saving up enough money for our water front dream home...hmmmm only 2 million to go...Yikes!

It was such an enjoyable weekend. Not only to honor the dads in our family, but also because I got some serious time with my niece. It had been about 5 weeks since I seen her last, and boy oh boy had she changed. Physically, she has turned into a baby after my own heart: Chubby-chub-chub with eatable cheeks and rolls upon rolls (this is healthy you know...baby's need fat for brain development and extra nourishment in case they don't get enough calories in a day - that is nature taking over). Developmentally, she is leaps and bounds beyond our last encounter: She is so very alert, wide-eyed and expressive. She is strong...holding her own weight while standing (assitance with balance is needed of course). She smiles the sweetest smile and is much more go-with-the flow: From Auntie Andi, to Uncle Nick, to Pappi, to Omi then to bed...she transitions beautifully and rarely fusses.
It continues to amaze me to watch my sister in this new role of motherhood. She is excelling. She is a patient and loving mother. She is adaptable, adventurous and embracing the challenge. She is not over-panicky, over-bearing or over-protective. She is an amazing mom...as is Matt an amazing Dad...fully present, completely helpful in all infant duties and expressive for his love for his little girl. Not to mention the hilarious names he comes up for Delya: Little Sumo, Milk Coma Baby and 100 others that I just can't think of right now. It is great to watch them be parents together...especially when I get to hold my niece and nibble on her cheeks!

3 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

LOVE the chub!

The Norris Clan said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I want to bite her cheeks and squeeze those thighs. Seriously. I am gritting my teeth right now.

Unknown said...

Um...how do you get your dog to just sit in the kayak? I think Murphy would jump in the water, or tip us over...I guess Charlotte is a bit smaller than Murphy...but still! I want to take him boating!