Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Local Produce


For the past 27 years of my life (aka, all of it) I have wanted a garden so badly. There is something so holistically beautiful about eating something that came out of the ground. This may sound so simple and common to you, but if you really think about it, it is amazing. From a tiny little seed growing to become a gigantic apple tree (I don't have an apple tree, but for the sake of an example, stay with me) that produces hundreds of apples a year...so fresh and crisp and straight from the earth! Something that you can watch grow and get excited about. Something that you know exactly where it came from and what is on it. Something that came out of DIRT...dirty, wormy, dark dirt. So cool. You still may not totally understand my awe, but that's ok, we all have our quarks.

Anyways, Nick and I have ventured into the garden to see what will grow. We aren't quite done planting yet, but I have already enjoyed and cooked with many of the herbs that we do have (except for the dill...the bugs/slugs apparently wanted it more badly that us). Keep in mind that neither of us have a green thumb, but we are excited to see what works and what doesn't. This year we plan to be feasting on:
Tomatoes
Raspberries, plus thyme, spicy and Italian oregano & sage

Mint and basil (the bugs like the basil, so we pulled them out of the ground and put them in pots)

Peas and Cumbers are coming soon...(oh and yes that is a toilet next to the shed. This will not be part of the garden, rather, it is making it's way to the restore.)

3 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

My parents have a good sized garden and I grew up with fresh corn and tomatoes! What a great thing to put time into!

But watch out - it can be addicting. Pretty soon you'll be ripping up your sod to expand it!

Shannon said...

I totally understand the thrill of it and have every intention of starting a garden when we settle. When that comes, I will need your help. It was so great to see you over the weekend and look forward to seeing you again!

Shannon

Matt said...

It is great to see that you two are getting your green thumb! My main tomato plant has been good to me; I get a handful of tomatoes every week. I have also started 2 dozen tomato plants from seed and have giving them out to friends. Keep up the fun in the dirt.