Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Cabin Trip


I'm taking a break from the Italy blog. It's taking me way longer than I thought, and frankly, I don't want the rest of life to be put by the wayside while I try to sum up the best vacation ever in blog posts. So...for new news:

A few weeks ago, we ventured to my parent's cabin for a little Mag 7 gathering time. It was a combo "celebrate father's day and Matt's birthday" extravaganza. I love going to the cabin because it allows a break from the real world. I basically turn my cell phone off and don't think twice about cake, my inbox or daily ins and outs like sorting mail or ignoring the overflowing hamper. We spend almost all our time outside...either hanging around the property or hitting up adventure destinations close by.

In honor of my father who really wanted to hit the snow, we went on a "hike" to Nachee's Loop. Hike is a loose term since there was so much snow, it was impossible to even see the trail. Matt got his extra work out in carrying 25lb Delya on his back. After walking around for a bit, we settled on a dirt patch for lunch with a breathtaking view. Home brought some more down time, a bon-fire and Strawberry Short Cake for the birthday boy.

Sunday morning was dedicated to waffles, eggs and bacon...then we hit the trails via bike for a little ride on Skuckum Flats. Per Ami's request, Nick found and purchased a sweet bike to be given to Matt for his birthday. He scored a Norco off Craig's List that pretty much resembles Nick's bike to the T. The four of us hit the trail, and mid-ride while resting, we surprised Matt by informing him that that awesome bike he was riding was in deed for him! "Happy Birthday!!!" we cheered! In typical Matt fashion, he stoically accepted his birthday present with a "Wow...are you serious? Thanks." And we were on our way.

The end to those weekends are always a little hard. It just feels so good to be with the family and celebrate togetherness. But I knew we were coming together again the following weekend for the 4th...so it made saying goodbye just a little easier.

No comments: