Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Disc Golf Fun


Lately Nick and I have really been digging Disc Golf. For those of you foreign to said sport, let me sum it up: It is a combination of golf (as in following those guidelines) and Frisbee (so instead of using a club and ball, shooting for a hole in the ground, you use a Frisbee-esk disc and aim for a metal basket). There is a 9 "hole" Disc Golf course about a mile from our home at Cornwall Park. We have enjoyed many of sunny afternoons there, trying to work on our skills or in other words: trying not to make dents in the trees. We recently took a trip up to Glacier to check out their 36 "hole" course. This course is no walk in the park...it's more like a high endurance hike. The entire course is laid out in a heavily forested area. It is common to "tee off" on one side of a ravine, aiming for the basket on the other side. Or shooting from the base of a huge hill side with the basket at the top (invisible from your starting point). The most challenging task is trying to configure the best toss through a maze of trees. Unless of course you had a really bad shot and end up searching for your disc through the muddy marsh or piles of tree trunks, branches and sticks...that is way more tough. Word to the wise...never buy a green disc. Mother Earth will adopt it rapidly.

Now I wouldn't say that Nick and I will be signing up for the Sunday afternoon tournaments that they have at Cornwall, but we have come to be great fans of this activity. It's a great way to add a little diversity to the common walk in the park, reestablishing that feeling of dirt under your feet after a long winter. We have recently started setting bets and a reward is given to the person with the best (lowest) score. Let's just say that Nick owes me many Mallards Ice Cream cones. Wanna join us??? We would love play with you!

Oops! Nick had to do a little hunting to find his disk...Get out of the woods!

I'm working on using my torso for extra power. Cousin Matthew taught me that...

Do you see how beautiful nature is??? Can you find Nick in the photo?

1 comment:

Erec said...

I love disc golf too! My name is Erec and I started a disc golf blog a couple of months ago. I just posted an article using videos to explain proper form, and I was wondering what other disc golfers thought of it.

If you'd like to check it out, or off a critique of the site, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

http://lifelongdiscgolf.com/the-5-easiest-ways-to-develop-distance-on-disc-golf-throws/