Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ahhh...Books!


I Love to read. A passion that started during my late high-school years. My own personal library has been growing ever since. I have this certain fondness of owning what I read. Don't get me wrong, the library is a fantastic resource, but there is something satisfying about looking at the lineup of books on my shelves; sighing with satisfaction due to the endless hours of my life dedicated to these stories. Diving deep into a whole new world...differing cultures, eras, and places on this earth I have never dreamed of visiting. It brings me much pleasure.
I have friends who can read a book in a day. This amazes me. The discipline and focus it takes...amazing. I have always found myself a bit jittery after a few chapters. The need to get up and do something "productive." Lately, I have decided my philosophy about productivity sucks (to put it bluntly). Here I am...currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert...absorbing her journey through Italy. How she is purely focusing on doing what she WANTS to do...not what is EXPECTED. Oh you know...when you go somewhere new you are supposed to see the "it" things..certain landmarks, museums, etc. Instead, she chooses to explore on foot, with no maps or directions AND to eat a lot of really good food. I am inspired by this freedom she has allowed herself to have and realize that I can have the same freedom. Now, this by no means that I am going to sit on the couch all day, eating bon-bons and reading a book a day. Or just hop on a plane and venture to some new place (not without my husband at least). No, no. That is just not in my blood. However, I strive to find more joy in doing what I love and not being so ruled by the clock. If I choose to read for an hour or two smack in the middle of the day...dangit, I'm going to.
I may be especially giddy about reading lately because of the lucky "good-book" streak I am on. I am three for three and hoping it doesn't stop there. First came: The Namesake (by Jhumpa Lahiri), then was Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen), and as mentioned before, currently Eat, Pray Love (by Elizabeth Gilbert). If any of you are in hunt of a good book, I would recommend any of those without a doubt. At the end of Water for Elephants, I actually put the book on my lap and applauded it. "Well done!" I shout, "Well done in deed!" Now that is a Good Book.
The latest:





A few of my all-time favorite books:


2 comments:

Matt said...

I wish I could just sit a read. It takes me forever to finish a book. I have been doing better lately, now that I am reading my cycling books. I have finished 2 and half way finished with the third..... Maybe I should give you a list of books to read for me.....

micah said...

howdy. i found you. currently reading "Fast Food Nation." A fun informative book about, well, the actual research regarding the fast food industry's impact on the world.

also, i've thought seriously about getting a job at a Seattle parking garage (graveyard shift) so that i could read constantly.